Confession of a sort ;)

The only place for non AO-related topics.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Confession of a sort ;)

Post by Sillanto »

I made a noob error... I installed the EVE-online trial :shock:

As such i havent logged into AO this week. As between RL and trying to workout EVE's skill system i sort of ran out of time. I promise to be back soon, the trial is only 14 days max anyway.

Also just a quick review of what ive been upto:

Its actually not a bad game altho they seem to have heavily copied Microsofts Freelancer game. As per my AO trends i decided i would be a tradeskiller in EVE. (Which may have been a mistake starting out as you need lots of skills trained to truely make money) I then decided i would be a miner which leads me to my first rant, They dont tell you what you can and cant do on the trial account till you try it. In AO its all easy for froobs to work out what they are allowed to use. In eve you have to spend your creds buying items/ skills before finding out you arent actually allowed to use them. so after buying all my mining gear and skills i found out that im not allowed to fly industrial ships (the ones used for carting large amounts of the mined ore back to the stations)
So now im back to running round shooting things. tbh its not a bad game but at the same time its not perfect.
The only really interesting thing imo is the market and the chance for trading. But having played other games like that ive learnt that while fun for the short term its almost immpossible to make a decent living from just trading as there is always 1 person willing to make a 1% profit or even a loss.
Only attraction of the game is the ability to pay for your subscription with ingame money.

Anyway its probably getting time for me to go kick those new camps in Mort etc.
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
teredoc
Strong Leet

Post by teredoc »

Hehe, I too thought DAoC would only be the free 14 days :roll:
It really makes you wonder how attractive other games can be compared to AO sometimes..
25, beware the cane swinging senile!
Stderr VanZandt, DAoC Ector US server
MrMud/Meepsimor/Teredoc/Ninyah/Tomat in AO.
armegeddon
Growing Leet

Post by armegeddon »

I used to play EVE also. Still have an account there, but I haven't reactivated it in over a year, about the same time I stopped playing AO for awhile.
You can mine with the smaller ships, it just takes a massive amount of time to do so. That's how my character started out, mining in a little gallante ship (can't recall name off top of my head.) I never really got into the pirate hunting aspect that much. As for the PVP part; Everytime I'd try to fight someone, I'd get my ass handed to me, which became very expensive having to repurchase ships again. I tried the manufactoring part also, and made some money from that (I was one of the people make a 1% profit), but I wound up spending more time transporting minerals than I did anything else and got tired of that also.
Eventually I may reactivate that account again, when I get bored with AO one more (hopefully not for awhile)
There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Post by Kyttn »

The biggest problem with EVE PvP is the skills system. The higher your skills, the more damage you can do. The skill system is based on real-time. Therefore, any person in game 1 week longer than you will ALWAYS be able to kick your arse, provided you both make good choices in your skill training. This means that anyone joining now, will be camping the noobs of the future, because they cannot kill anyone else.

The second biggest problem is the exploits that are available to the experienced player. For example, get some basic skills and then kill a few noobs. You very quickly become flagged as a "Wanted" player. But make sure that your level of wantedness does not drop below -5. Now simply fly around secured jump gates in highly protected systems. Sure enough a noob player will see you as wanted and attack you. The defensive gun emplacements around the gate will now react to the noob's agression in a "secure" system and will insta destroy the noob. You now swoop in and loot the remains of his ship. To me, this is pure exploit, but the developers consider it working as expected.

If you had not guessed, I hate the game.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Ive seen a few of those wanted people hanging round the empire gates and always wondered why.

Tbh atm my intrest in EVE is purely for the market side (the market in eve is the sort of thing i wish ao had) and maybe a bit of PVM/mining to help me along. Im sure pvp would come later but the skill system definately gives veterans a huge advantage.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Well after managing to log on for 1 night and promising to be back im now not going to be on till sun/mon earliest. To blame is switching job rolls and a big group of friends turning up back home from uni and then promptly abducting me to a pub (ok ok so i did go willingly)

Anyway fear not, my eve sub is out and i dont plan on getting it back straight away.
docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

Sillanto wrote:Well after managing to log on for 1 night and promising to be back im now not going to be on till sun/mon earliest. To blame is switching job rolls and a big group of friends turning up back home from uni and then promptly abducting me to a pub (ok ok so i did go willingly)

Anyway fear not, my eve sub is out and i dont plan on getting it back straight away.
Hehe i smell another few weeks of "brb, pub" ^_^
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

Sillanto wrote:Well after managing to log on for 1 night and promising to be back im now not going to be on till sun/mon earliest. To blame is switching job rolls and a big group of friends turning up back home from uni and then promptly abducting me to a pub (ok ok so i did go willingly)

pfffft, just don't go back, we don't have that many tradeskill engis left :P
?/
/?
/ \ help bob multiply himself so he can takeover the world easier