Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

The only place for non AO-related topics.

C&C3 good enough to be called C&C?

Yes!
75%
No!
13%
Almost...
13%
I don't have a PC capable of running this, so dunno
No votes

Total votes: 8

Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

Post by Doom_Eater »

The first official release was made today to the press at EA HQ!
The game contains a Securom 7 protection and counts 8.1GB of Disk space! (a Dual Layer DvD counts 8.5GB space) :shock:
I hope it's worth being called a real C&C and willing to know your opinions about it :P

Trailer
?/
/?
/ \ help bob multiply himself so he can takeover the world easier
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

Oki, I just finished the Nod campaign and it's a cheap open ending! :(

this means they already began with an expansion... moneywolves...
?/
/?
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

fuze wrote:They purposely leave things unbalanced or lacking certain types of forces so the expansion pack is an easy build instead of making a complete game than then just adding some things to it to make it better.
The Dawn of War (Warhammer 40K) series did this. And in the latest expansion the Necrons are like the Trox Advys of the 40K world. All you have to do to beat any scenario where you are able to build structures is to camp out your research until you have an Awakened Monolith.

Sort of fun, but at the same time, I -like- playing Necrons, which makes me feel cheap now :) So I call myself "Munchkin" when playing online.
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

wtb if it ever comes out its a pretty environment to develop an mmo in.

thing is many things get announced and never happen especially where mmos are concerned.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

core wrote:wtb if it ever comes out its a pretty environment to develop an mmo in.

thing is many things get announced and never happen especially where mmos are concerned.
Yep, especially where GW MMOs are concerned. Warhammer was cancelled and revived at least twice, I'm thinking 3 times, before it was truly killed.

However, Warhammer would have been -direct- competition for WoW, Everquest, AoC, etc. 40K would really only be competing against AO (which is tiny in comparison) and maybe Tabula Rasa if it comes out.
teredoc
Strong Leet

Post by teredoc »

I'm going to try this http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php when it goes live.
Mythic did a real good job with DAoC pvp and I'm still impressed how much they interact with the playerbase.

PS: I've never cared about the setting or graphics - scifi, fantasy, teletubbies - I'll take 'em all if the game is balanced and fun. I also
couldn't care less about how game companies follow the books, as long as it's fun and works in a game.

For example LOTRO is currently a no go for me. It suffered a lot in the pvp department[1] due to the restrictions laid on Turbine from people wanting to keep Tolkien's world intact (so no stuff like hobbits killing hobits etc[2]).
Their PvP implementation is in my eyes a half-arsed failed attempt since they had to come up with something that worked in the tolkien universe.
To their defense the PvE stuff is apparently going to be very "highspeed action-packed stuff", but in my experience, PvE always gets boring sooner or later.

A movie or a game will never be as good as the books when we are talking storywise. There is no need to swear to the book when changing a few things might end up giving you a better game.

[1]: http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2007/03/lot ... o-pvp.html
"...Being that the notion of elves mass killing hobbits was distinctly un-Tolkien.."[3]
[2]: Turbine only implemented "good" races. See http://www.lotronline.com/content/races ... lraces.php
Notice again it's due to the "..spirit of the novels.."
[3]: There are several options to bypass this:
a)Call it "Training For War Against Evil" and say that players are never really killed but just almost (like /duel in wow, just on a larger scale).
b)Just allow it. For example Elves vs. Elves isn't really unheard of (thinking Silmarillion here). True, to my knowledge hobbits have never
killed eatchother.. but there's gotta be a first :p
c)Implement evil races. This isn't just orcs.. there are evil humans as well. But due to [2] this will not happen.
25, beware the cane swinging senile!
Stderr VanZandt, DAoC Ector US server
MrMud/Meepsimor/Teredoc/Ninyah/Tomat in AO.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Tere, that was the game I was talking about. Not 4 months ago it was declared dead, looks like they've revived it -again-. It was killed again around the time they started leaking about the 40K game.

I admit, IF they make the codebase common between them and share a hosting environment, they could pretty easily build both a 40K and WH game from the same coders. Either way, there are some very serious questions about either being released ... somewhere between Mythic and Games Workshop there is a hugh power struggle.
teredoc
Strong Leet

Post by teredoc »

Hm, I didn't know about that.. interesting.

I know Mythic was bought by EA a while back, perhaps they were able to pour some money into the project. I should read up on it.

Hehe, there's so much more to games than playing them :luv:
teredoc
Strong Leet

Post by teredoc »

fuze wrote:
teredoc wrote:EA
With the sheer amount of available cheats that creep into every game they make and their rivalry of FC on speed of patching bugs, I don't see that as a good thing.
What games are you thinking of here?

EA is getting a lot of hate atm from a subset of the DAoC community, mostly from people afraid they will focus solely on WAR in the future and somehow ruin DAoC to get people to play WAR. I myself have had no bad experiences from EA, so I'm staying neutral for now.
teredoc
Strong Leet

Post by teredoc »

fuze wrote:
teredoc wrote:
fuze wrote: With the sheer amount of available cheats that creep into every game they make and their rivalry of FC on speed of patching bugs, I don't see that as a good thing.
What games are you thinking of here?

EA is getting a lot of hate atm from a subset of the DAoC community, mostly from people afraid they will focus solely on WAR in the future and somehow ruin DAoC to get people to play WAR. I myself have had no bad experiences from EA, so I'm staying neutral for now.
Most of their pc games. Their entire Battlefield franchise(1942,Battlefield2,2142) is like that. Every version has the same glaring problems that are not being fixed after being reported for a long time and are getting the same type of cheats added into every version. Though, it's pretty much like that for every single FPS game I've ever played. I was a big fan of their console sports games where those issues aren't really a problem. I have a lot of hate for EA atm from one of their demo installers wrecking my OS install to where it was not bootable. My current avatar looks very much like my face did when it happened.
I read the wiki-entry on EA after you mentioned this. And you're right, they seem to be getting a lot of critique for half-finished software.. I hope Mythic can make WAR work.. I have a lot of faith in that company [-o<
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

very

that post in slashdot reminds me of the first time I read about AO coming out
this will be one to look for.
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

It seems tho they have a budget and a schedule while most others dont those
are very good signs, assuming they ll stick to it and besides that we are not talking about a company with one hit at the time they decide to do an mmo.

I have to say though that what's most intriguing in this case is the pure scifi
aspect this will have.

Other than that warhammer is coming out soon, might give the chaos side a go even though its not scifi.
docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

Hmm, a fallout MMORPG made by bethesa? Could become real good, i hope there will be an extensive tradeskilling system with real chemical processes and such. And that there are more weapon skills then Unarmed, small, big, energy and melee weapons.
Nozan
Growing Leet

Post by Nozan »

i downloaded CC3 crack, installed, works nice even on my old but not so crappy pc.
i know i only have that in mind, it is kind of an obsession with me...
yes it deserves to be called CnC, since it is right winged :
- CC1 we got this new terrorist threat, the NOD, and the rethorics of kayne in the first opus are clearly post revolutionary craps.
- CC2, just check the name, was a post coldwar game, communist vs the free world (i mean CC2 : red alert) (ah the poetry of reed zeppelins shadows hanging over NewYork like the shade of some mix of communism and pan germanism.... ah the fun made of Einstein in that game, like if all scientists were fools and evilminded persons)
- then CC3 : first mission : save the white house (it is the first post 9 11 game of the series) / save europe (germany / eastern europe) from Kane (but since communism is buried deep in human history, Kane is not a worthy opponent anymore...) and the aliens ... The conspiracy theory and alien invasion is clearly connoted as a right-wing idea (check some of Chomsky's work on the question).
It told you i was obsessed :lol:
The CC series is clearly developped to keep the player under a fear, the fear of an unknown threat, and even if it is just a game, fear is never of good advice.
So i play CC3, like i played the other opuses, mostly aliens or NOD. Eheh.
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

NOD is my favorite side :P btw Nozan, it's KANE not KAYNE :twisted:
?/
/?