Reinstallin Windows I'll be back asap

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

Reinstallin Windows I'll be back asap

Post by Chrisax »

Fun when some files get corrupted and no method described by Microsoft can fix the issue except an almost full reinstall....

Well I'm downloading something like 300MB and patching, etc. I'll be back online asap. Hopefully tonight. :burst:
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

OK. It's hell... I'm still with a semi-working system. I need to fix it for tomorrow, so I won't be online likely tonight. :evil:
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Gutted Chris :/ Just had to do the same thing and its taken me like 2 days to get all the updates from MS (not even bothereing with SP3)
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Sillanto wrote:Gutted Chris :/ Just had to do the same thing and its taken me like 2 days to get all the updates from MS (not even bothereing with SP3)
I'm done with the SP3 step. Now my issue is some (looks almost random) pictures are not displayed by IE 6 and this affects the programs using IE engine to display information, like for example some help info.

All the methods given by MS failed. So I decided to install IE7 (the ultimate method) and IE7 just doesn't want to install. Bugging without reasons on some registry keys it can't rewrite.

:burst: :burst: :burst:
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

You dont happen to have a corrupt mem stick or something?

Happened to me once, very hard to determine, and symptoms can be very varying.
Mophro - man of few words - word!
Pass the salt please.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I don't think so, Mophro. It would cause troubles with something else than IE I assume, even randomly. But anyhow, I have no other choice than testing everything, software and then hardware to understand what is happening.

Currently I assume "something" makes impossible to IE7 to re-write some registry keys, even if I make them editable manually. (?!)

Also, nothing tells me that, once IE7 installed, the issue with some pictures not being displayed in all IE-engine dependent application will be fixed.

The nightmare would be a full reinstall of XP and of all my software... ghost:
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Just so you know if you experience the same issue. I solved it; here is how in WINDOWS XP:

I downloaded IE7 and didn't use Live update (ONLY download it from Microsoft!!!)

I shut down all anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, and first I removed all the protection for IE in Spybot Search & Destroy (anti-spyware). You mght have to turn your firewall off too if it monitors your local computer ("trusted zone", "localhost", etc.)

I restarted the system without the anti-virus and anti-spyware

I opened the file called ie7.log in C:\WINDOWS. This is the file where installation errors are logged.

In this file I looked for all the registry keys that couldn't be re-written by the installation process.

I launched regedit (any registry management software will be OK and if you want to know a really great one, with a long trial period but not free, look at jv16 from www.macecraft.com )

I looked for each key IE7 isnatll ahs a problem with. They were in what ie7.log calls "HKCR", HKey_Classes_Root

For each key, R click on it and select Permissions (can be authorization in some versions)

Give admin permissions and system permissions

Restart Win XP

Install IE7; should work.

Restart and set up properly your anti-virus and anti-spyware. Better safe than sorry: scan your system immediately.