Report new forums issues HERE

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Mardonge
Big Leet

Re: Report new forums issues HERE

Post by Mardonge »

Minor detail (yes Chris, I'm picky... wonder why I didn't notice this one before?!?) in the footer text.
The Athen Paladins live on the planet (server) "Rimor".
As far as my geographical knowledge of the game goes, the planet is called Rubi-Ka, and Rimor is the dimension we play on.

RK2 is btw named after the 2nd shuttle that landed on Rubi-Ka when Omni-Tek first teraformed if my memory serves me right.

(There are 2 versions of the naming story out there I belive, one using the 1st and 2nd shuttle that landed on the planet, the other using the 2 suns that the planet orbits around. As far as I remember, the shuttles are the correct one, but feel free to correct me.)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Hmmmm... Correct... i'll fix that.

Off-topic:

The Atlantean was the first ship to land on RK.

The Rimor was the second one, short after.

Both were commissioned by Omni-Tek... which was manipulated by unknown forces and has been for centuries.

Both crews disappeared in what we call today the Outzones. The last word from the Atlantean was a jammed message saying "... is alive..."

The crew of the Rimor was found mummified in the Outzones, long years later. The destiny of the Atlantean is even stranger. A contact was made with the crew again when the colonization ship Behemoth approached Rubi-Ka. The Atlantean crew stated that all was "alright" and was grated the right to take off... The Atlantean exploded while taking off, without any further contact with the crew, and without any explanation about their message "...is alive..."

The Outzones will start to be accessible in the booster pack... enjoy. :twisted:
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Forgot to say the "dimension" / "planet" issue has been fixed. :)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

ok here's what i'm thinking. You have a "if you are returning to AO" thread. I think also you need to separate that from this forum and make a new one called "AO knowledge database". You with me?

Ok so then under that you can have one thread for:

levelling guides - the need to knows for your level range (places to go, quests to do, where to solo mobs for levels and where to find teams (RK/SL))

Developing your character - Research/IP/Perks, How can i get better imps/symbs, good armour options for level ranges, must have's for your character (basic essential buffs, who has them, ncu cost etc. Cheap armour, where to find etc. ToTW phatz, SoM phatz)

Basics on Auno, Ao-universe, click saver, nano nanny - Teach players to find their own info, using auno to search for buffing items, how to roll for items, how to plan implants with examples

High lvl needful quests/items additions - for the 220 player who has returned, pretty much the summation of Chris's original thread in this forum.

I think that this could be developed a bit more, changed to avoid duplication etc. All things can be level range specific so that a person can just click on the level range that applies to them and get info. I vote kitty does it and maintains it but all can help him!

For example a new player lvl 26 logs on to the website they can click "levelling guides" and find out where to solo some mobs for levels, or where to go to find a team, what quests are doable for that lvl. Then click on "developing your character" and see what QL imps they should aim for (realistically), what type of cheap/free armour is available, how much NCU should they have and how to get it. If they want to roll a mission where are the good places to roll (eg close to a whompa/grid etc).

The thread should be updated to include good points added in comments, but always be cleaned up so that important information is not on pages 4,6&9 of 12! I think profession specific questions and info should remain in the profession area. But a lot of basic info is universal.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

I also think that if you take too long to type and you need to re-enter your log on details the text you just typed should NOT be erased forcing you to type it again!! :evil:
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

I think that's a bit of a double-up Rojo. How about just posting a link to AO Universe instead.
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Elrojo, you have good points. :)

Creating a forum to list changes in AO (very patch for example) is something I wanted to do instead of posting them in General Messages.

As well, creating forums (or threads) for returning people or based on specific goals is a great idea. The fact some information exists elsewhere on the web doesn't forbid us to have forums or threads for our specific needs, organized as we feel it. (And our info can always, of course, point to other sources, as Lupus mentioned.)

As for having useful information in the first post and not in several posts on pages 3, 5, or 12... this is a common problem with all forums. It requires quite a big work from one (or several) forums editors/"moderators ". AP members who feel they could have the time and do the job in a very good and "professional" way are welcome to speak up! We need you! !D

About the end of session issue you experienced, it's not an easy thing to solve. I'll explain why.

When you type text in the post message box, for the servers, you do nothing: it's only on your computer.

You do something for the servers, only if you use a function, like Preview, etc.

In themselves, our forums don't limit your posting session time, even if you do nothing.

But the maximum session time is set by a PHP language setting called "session.gc_maxlifetime" on which our forums engine depends.

session.gc_maxlifetime is set to 1440 seconds, so 24 minutes. This means that every 24 minutes, if you have done nothing for the server, your sessions ends, and the forums will consider you logged off.

Now, why in hell just not changing the session.gc_maxlifetime value?! Here is the issue. Contrary to our dedicated bots server, on which we can do all we want, our web hosting (which includes other things like Alliance forums or Clans United, etc.) relies on a cluster of servers shared with other persons. Not one server but a cluster, where workload is balanced, files possibly duplicated, etc. This is transparent for the end user, but it's quite a complicated thing on which we have no direct control.

On such a system, customizing session.gc_maxlifetime for us is... a bit of a pain in the..... uh.... neck. I already looked into this, asked questions, and found no over-time-reliable-solution.

I agree it's an issue each time someone spends a lot of time on one post, only typing without doing anything else. (24 minutes is quite long!)

I'm wondering about moving all or a part of our web hosting to our dedicated server (for more reasons than just the session time.) It's something that needs to be thoughtfully investigated though.

For the moment, you have some workarounds:

- If you see you have been disconnected whne you type "Subimit", use the "Go back" key of your browser. You should -in many cases- be able to find your text (especially if you use the "Preview" button at some time, then copy it, log on again and paste it.

- Type long texts and things that take time to be written in a wordprocessor, and then copy/paste them whne done.

- Use a bit the "Preview" button to let the server know you are still there. (Or other functions.)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

My main problem is that i post at work. Therefore i can type a bit, get interrupted by selfish sick people always wanting advice then i come back, type some more... rinse and repeat. One post can take me 90mins to complete!. I Copy the text before i submit in case I was idle too long. I learnt the hard way!

Regarding the proposed new forum and its time consumption i think increasing the moderators and updating them may also help. Several of the existing mods i have never even seen or heard from. More active members on the forums like Noobs/Kitty/Grind/Butr etc may also reduce the workload for the members who are left. Mods can then edit original posts and clean up the messages. If its a simple case of editing the original post to quote "grind said I r heck noob" i can do that at work no problems. There are several threads like PvP/Tower wars that have maybe 1-2 posts in the last 18months that maybe could be reduced to create space for the proposed forum. What maybe is a good idea is the create a blank template with a sticky about posting format in each subsection so a mod can literally copy and paste new info into the original post to clean it up? I'd be more than happy to write away with my small amount of experience to kick things off. But there are lots of old school RK places i've never been to that others like Kitty know about.
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Rojo...

Yes i know alot of things on the lower end of the Ao lvling spectrum, but i am no god at it either! :)

I could help with creating something to the effect that Rojo has proposed. perfect example would be Foremans/Biomare! i can throw together guide for their and also post information and links for items acquired there as well.

i thin it is a great idea!
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

lol @ luppy "just post a link to ao-universe instead" and now its down!!!!!! Rojo 1 - Lup 0!

I started a brief guide for 20-60 then 60-100. I am RUSTY on good cheap/free armour options other than CAS/CARB/Miy/Alien/Ofab for levels 20-150. I dont know good RK mobs to kill other than Borgs at what level?

My point, Lupus, was to supplement the info that is found in lots of different sites, make it up-to-date, offer AP specific advice and to enable people to have answers to common questions that arent found at ao-universe. Obviously for quests just link the site, but they dont answer questions like "I cant find a team and i'm lvl 50 where can i lvl". Or "I'm broke and i need a decent mid lvl armour option for my lvl 80 character". You cant type in "good armour for lvl 80" into auno or ao-universe. You can't even find good info on the AO forums as everyone trolls your posts and hijacks it. The point is to not hold your hand through levelling but give you an indication of options and then you take it upon yourself to investigate the option. If you dont know about CAS armour then you cant search for it. But if i mention it in the guide, then they can at least google it.

The other point, with AP help, was to offer "chekpoints" for my level range. For example by lvl 60 i have.... Rolled 5 missions, been to 3 different RK areas other than Bor/Newland and OA, Killed 5 different types of SL mobs, explored the area around at least 4 garden exits, been to ToTW and killed all named mobs etc. This was to encourage all round education on Rk and its various areas as well as SL. I think we would much prefer our org members to not just go 1-60 on OST hecks then 110-160 on OST hecks. The idea was to encourage different types of levelling, an exploration of different levelling options but all the while offer nice guidelines as to how your toon should be progressing.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I'll seize this opportunity... Let's be very clear here: the main reason why AP never (so far) put more than forums online, except the new graphic engine page, was the lack of people providing "professional quality" content.

I had prepared some myself but clearly not enough. And just having a few good articles doesn't make a site. As well use forums posts. (As I did for the Aimed Shot table http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... =15&t=5085 )

If, now, several APs feel like contributing and entering that "job", then we can really do great things. Greater than you think! :D
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

already on it boss! I obviously need some fact checking, second opinions, actual links and overall web-based expertise in formatting. If anyone wants to provide me with a pm with their email i will send it on. I am happy to be one of the people to be designated post cleaner, content adder and all that if need be!

I have nobodies contact info though!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Don't worry about HTML formatting if you are not used to it.

It's even much better if you keep a plain text version of what you write, so there is no need to clean code and re-code if/when changes are needed.

Also, for a forums post, HTML is not directly used. The forums use their own, easier code which indirectly uses HMTL and more. (See "THE NEW AP FORUM & THE WONDERFUL THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH IT" http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... f=2&t=4172 and all the buttons above the edit area when you post.)

Also you can always, if really needed and for simple HTML formatting like bold, italics, etc, type your text in Word and save a version as HTML (save as... in File menu). Word will create the HTML version of your document, with a lot of unwanted code mostly at the beginning, but the core of your document will be OK. It will work with most word processors of today too.

You can send me a PM and use the "Upload attachment" option at the bottom of the edit page to attach your document. You can as well use chrisax@athenpaladins.org
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

If you use Internet Explorer and see TWO banner images instead of one, please do as follow:

[quote="Elrojo"]its a known issue with several websites with IE8.

In IE Tools menu you will see a function called "compatibility view" select that
and BAM banners gone. Note doing so logs you out so do it before you log in.

You can also change settings to make the AP website perma compatible view!!
Sookie
Big Leet

Post by Sookie »

Chrisax wrote:If you use Internet Explorer and see TWO banner images instead of one, please do as follow:
Elrojo wrote:its a known issue with several websites with IE8.

In IE Tools menu you will see a function called "compatibility view" select that
and BAM banners gone. Note doing so logs you out so do it before you log in.

You can also change settings to make the AP website perma compatible view!!
ty again Chris
Attachments
also on the web address bar
also on the web address bar
AthenPaladins IE error.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 14055 times
Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports. Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Yeah. I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.