How I run AO with wine

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
docksider
Big Leet

How I run AO with wine

Post by docksider »

Since i got AO running oh-so flawlessly i figured i share my setup with you all!
First off like macrosun sugested in his unsupported linux tutorial get and install ie4slinux. He copies the wine prefix, i say why bother. This allows you to patch the client w/o issues and workarounds.

all you need in your start script is
export WINEPREFIX=~/.ies4linux/ie6
wine Anarchy.exe
to make sure you use the right prefix, also AO must be run from the folder you are in so you should cd to it

If you are running a newish version of X you might have noticed the stuttering. How your character slows down to sub walking speed and is released from this by jumping or sidesteping. This i found a fix for over at the winehq. But setting the reapet off in a terminal and such is bad, because when you execute the script your enter button is pressed, because now you cant release it. So you should have it in the script with a small delay.

Some have claimed redirecting output to null helps performance, i dont know if i see much difference, but it is easy enough to setup so i use it anyway.

That sums it all up and here is how i start AO:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=/home/dock/.ies4linux/ie6
cd "/media/disk/winedrive/drive_c/Program Files/Funcom/Anarchy Online"
echo "sleep 1s"
sleep 1
xset r off
wine Anarchy.exe >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
xset r on
note that my Anarchy Online folder is not standard and will almost definitly not work for you.

Big note on graphics:
Overall i found that fullscreen works best in terms of showing you stuff, windowed often fails and becomes black dead window. Also when running windowed you MUST set a smaller size then your desktop resolution or you will have instant crash. If you can run windowed that is overall best in my experience. If not you have to use fullscreen in "wine desktops". This will often let you tab and multilog. If everything else fails, try changing desktop, never failed for me unless i was running compiz.
mobstar
Strong Leet

Re: How I run AO with wine

Post by mobstar »

Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (104.81 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

I was goofing around with this stuff trying to get a AO to run on my ubuntu server box, then display it with xming on my windows 7.
Followed Means's post i installed wine (1.2) then wanted to install ie4linux, only to find out that that doesnt work with wine version 1.2.

Fail :/.
Mophro - man of few words - word!
Pass the salt please.
mobstar
Strong Leet

Post by mobstar »

My wine version is 1.1.42 and the nVidia driver is 195.36.24 (yet, it shouldn't have to get that technical as long as you're somewhat current). I can't imagine wine 1.2 breaking anything that 1.1.42 supported (but I'm not putting my money where my mouth is tonight - just in case. That maybe a project for tomorrow;)

Do you have an ATI video card? If so, good luck but don't get your hopes up... I bought two different Radeon HD cards over the course of a year, which were supposed to be really good cards, but had absolutely ZERO luck getting any directx app to work right. I reverted back to a 5 year old nVidia card, and everything is as smooth as silk. glxgears reports that my 5 year old nvidia card out performs my newest ATI radeon hd by 575%. (1819 fps compared to 316 fps).

One last thing - ies4linux is dated. Have you tried the winetricks script? You can download it from http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks - Run that within the prefix you run AO, and check IE6, and you should be good to go (the only thing the Internet Exploder 6 package fixes is the patcher tho).