PvP tips and stats

This forum is dedicated to the new universes where AP will be present: Star Wars The Old Republic and The Secret World
Chrisax
President

Re: PvP tips and stats

Post by Chrisax »

SWTOR's GUI sucks. Period. That's totally NOT constructive from me but I wanted to say it again. :twisted:
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

I wasn't aware boss!
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

nabs!

use your key binds.

I use all 5 hotbars rojo.

I'll tell you briefly what i do.

FIRST, you got to understand the separation between the COVER bar, and the HOT bar.

The hotbar is in operation when you are standing, the COVER bar is in operation in crouch.

Use this knowledge to populate your CROUCH bar with ONLY attacks/defences, whatever you can use with the tag: "can only be used under cover"

Once you got that organized, you can start populating your other bars.

The next thing I did was see which attacks I would NEVER use while under cover (ie, there is always a better attack available while under cover), these attacks, I put them on hotbar 1, (the one that is replaced with the COVER BAR).

This makes sense, because, as soon as cover is produced, those attacks won't get used.

NEXT, I look at all my attacks, and I populate my hotbar 2 with attacks that can be used from cover, or not from cover, and I may want to use from either position, these are: grenade, leg shot/snare, interupt, flash grenade, dodge, etc, also my stim packs.

If this is done properly, you should have very few (and ideally none) icons doubled up on any of your bars.

NEXT!!!!!

I open up my third and fourth bars on left and right.

first, I move all my non combat crap to the left one (or right), and that has stuff like: speeder, quick travel, fleet pass, buffs, on my tank I have my forms there, etc. stuff I don't need in combat.

THEN... LAST,

I finally take a HARD look at my hotbars, and, I choose 4 attacks that I think I want in premium positions.

For the way I sit/type/fight/placemy hands on the keyboard, my PREMIUM positions are:

TAB
q
e
wasd
r
f
`

The rest of them (t,g,z,x,c,v) I'm not very good at using so I have refrained from binding these.

OK, to stick with AO, I use TAB to select NEXT enemy, (not nearest enemy)

q is important, I'm so used to hitting q from AO that I give it the most important attack: my knockback+snare

e is equally as important, so I gave e my interupt.

` I gave "take cover in place" <-- means none of that rolling to green business.

wasd are movement keys, obviously.

r I gave flash grenade as well, because it's very important, and can be used often.

f I gave my highest priority oh sh*t defence (scramble net) (20% defence to me and all allies in 10m radius)

1,2,3,4,5 are my highest use keys: flurry of bolts, charged burst, trickshot, aimed shot, and speed shot.

in 6,7,8,9,0,-,= I can't reach with my fingers so I just click them, I like to choose enemies by mousing so this is fine as they are lower usage and require less frantic clickage.

Note that this setup works for me, but, I've heard of guys that fight with every key bound, and don't use mouse to target. imo, thats very tough to do, esp in SWTOR where you can't tab someone outside your field of vision, but, mousing outside your field of vision is just a quick clickdragclick 2,3,4,3,5,rapid fire,5,5, click sab charge, 3, while AS is charging, switch target, and start loading up your queue again.

BTW, you can adjust how much overlap between attacks you can queue under preferences, I've changed it to 1.0 seconds, so, that gives me a full 1.5-2.5 seconds to find next target and load up my queue when i finish with AS+sab charge(usually does 20%+damage).
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

nope. too hard. jut gonna tab then 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 (1 being my heal)
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

tbh i had trouble in PvP until I got this. Im way better now
General, Athen Paladins
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

took me to the aussie site and then no product specific link!
http://au.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboard ... g-keyboard

i assume is what you wanted to show. $350 for a keyboard!!!!!! no thanks. with no World pvp goals or consequences pvp on a PvE server is just to go PvP!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Razer"s site is one of those sites that want to always redirect you based on your supposed location or other criteria. I hate that. Your can force your destination with a drop-down menu on the pages top left, thankfully.

I'm almost certain Bredin didn't point you to the SWTOR keyboard as it's a very new product and, TBH, I hardly think it's reasonable to buy such a thing, even assuming it works well in practice!

Bredin was probably point you to the Naga mouse and its sisters which is a mouse with a ton of buttons on the side. But I don't use it so I have no idea how good it is (anyhow, it's a very personal thing). He will tell us.

I still think that my Logitech G510 keybaord is a good choice for games, and even for applications where having many customized function keys is convenient. (There are more expensive keyboards from Logitech but IMHO, the G510 offers the most interesting features already.)
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

wow, sorry. my post failed! :embarassed:

I was just joking around, i meant to post a link to this:
I think Crash recently got the naga mouse.
General, Athen Paladins
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Bredin wrote:I think Crash recently got the naga mouse.
And now he just needs 4 thumbs ? :P jk jk

(No clue if it really helps or not TBH.)
Crash
Big Leet

Post by Crash »

That's about the size of it so far. :) The only buttons I really use effectively are 1-4 & my scroll click. On that I have a single click to change friendlies & Guard, which is handy.

One thing this mouse excels at tho is disabling my in-game volume. At least that's what I'm blaming it on.