vote started on AO forums for getting skills menu back

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
layforet
Leet

vote started on AO forums for getting skills menu back

Post by layforet »

i started a thread for people to vote one way or the other on possibly getting the skills window changed back (or at least have the option to change it back) while keeping the current 16.3 patch's mechanics of the skills (such as keeping the nano pool/body dev where they are, not being able to reset base attributes, etc)

please vote there which way you feel they should go. they being the devs.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

They've repeatedly stated they won't go back, it was one of the legacy UI codes from the original AO client.

You're using your time more wisely making suggestions for improving the new one.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Its sort of a nice layut in a way and at least they tryed.

My three problems with it are:
1) adding ip is a pain with all those little buttons. And seems to take forever.
2) The window is laggy as hell. When i open it i get a 3 / 4 second lag.
3) Its not see through. - This is because i use to like looking at what my skills were while in battle to check the effects of those sl debuffs etc. It was also nice to just flick through to check what my MC/TS are as im always cutting it very fine on my top end nanos so its nice to watch what my skills are as i equip various armor and items etc. I also did this for tradeskilling etc when i needed to hit an exact ammout of skill. So all in all its a pain.

Started a keeper on rk1 to check it out. (go to rk1 jobe training and do /list keeper) and the auto ip sucks. Ok it covered the main skills but not exactly what id call a great use of ip.

Edit: I was told (but didnt seee myself) That it will also make finding the ammount of ip spent in a skill easy to see? If so this will make ipr's easier to spend :)
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
layforet
Leet

Post by layforet »

as i stated in my thread on the AO forums, i dont mind the new system, just the UI of the skills menu. the text is so small as to be barely readable at higher screen resolutions.

i do not see how using the OLD skills UI for the new window will break anything, since the skin is basically just XML. could be wrong, but xml seems far easier to fix than actual game code.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

a) the old menu is "broken" mostly because it is hard-coded and a section of code that therefore isn't updated when they make various changes to the UI. At this point it has been removed, it ain't coming back.

b) we agree on the new skills menu needing work, I'm just saying that posting constructive ideas on how to fix the new gui are going to be alot more productive than asking for the old GUI back. Vote or no vote.

A couple of posts I made yesterday during the downtime:

my first feedback

quick mock-up of a "fixed" UI
layforet
Leet

Post by layforet »

i actually like the fonts for the mockups you made, one suggestion tho would be to move the skill ammount number over onto the bar itself in maybe a black color, and also make it bold like the fonts of the skills in your mockups. would also help readability.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

sounds fine ... go post it ... AO devs don't read AP forums. That's why I didn't say anything about it here.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

That are nice Mockups Hyde :) These colors should be doable :D
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.